Last updated 7 September 2018
Celebrate Heritage Open Days in Stockport
Heritage Open Day is the opportunity to celebrate community, history and heritage across the country,
as attractions throw open their doors showcasing hidden local treasures and offering new way of experiencing your local area.
In Stockport The Plaza Theatre, Little Underbank and Staircase House are among the venues taking part in the free annual event held between Thursday 6th and Sunday 9th September.
Keep an eye out for:
• Edwardian England on Little Underbank, on Saturday 8th September step back in time and experience the hustle and bustle of what was once one of the most important shopping streets in Stockport.
• Enjoy a day on events run by Stockport Heritage Trust, which includes the Fascinating Perambulations of Old Stockport and is also on Saturday 8th September.
• Special Plaza Heritage Day are holding presentations, at 11am, 1pm and 3pm on Sunday 9th September, where visitors can simply turn up on the day and experience the very best of yesterday today.
• The 1932 Super Cinema and Variety Theatre will be open from 10.30am on Sunday 9th September allowing behind the scenes access to our much loved Art Deco gem as we celebrate over 85 years of serving you and our community.
Councillor Kate Butler, Cabinet Member for Economy and Regeneration said: “Stockport is an amazing town with a rich and unique history that we want to celebrate. It is great to see our beloved venues across Stockport taking part in this year’s Heritage Open Days events and I’d encourage everyone to get involved and go along to the events and learn more about our town.”
Other events taking place across Stockport include:
• Explore the magnificent architecture and history of the neo-gothic St George’s Church – 10am to 4pm on Saturday 8th September.
• Tour St Matthew’s Church in Edgeley and view parish records of baptisms and marriages from pre-1913 - 10am to 4pm on Saturday 8th September.
• St Thomas’s Church on Holt Street– Come and see this fantastic grade I listed Georgian church- a hidden jewel in the heart of Stockport 10am to 12pm Friday 7th and 11:30am to 2pm Sunday 9th September.
Find out more about the events taking place on the Heritage Open Days website – http://www.heritageopendays.org.uk