Last updated 3 March 2023
Care leavers lives to improve after launch event in Stockport
Care leavers across Stockport are to receive improved and extra support after a new way of working was launched at Stockport Town Hall yesterday (Thursday 2 March).
Stockport Council is now offering the Staying Close model which looks to address the 'cliff-edge' of leaving care and supporting a smooth transition from residential care into independent living at 18 years old.
Staying Close looks to improve outcomes for care leavers who are more likely to report being lonely or isolated with high rates of poor emotional health and wellbeing. They are also more likely to become homeless with over half of care leavers experiencing homelessness at some point within the first two years after leaving care.
Cllr Meikle, Cabinet Member for Children, Families and Education said: “We are delighted to be able to offer extra support to our care leavers and young people leaving residential care, providing them with a pathway plan for independent living when they leave care at 18 years. We encourage you to refer a young person who is over 16 and a Stockport Looked After Child, to the Staying Close programme.”
The staying close team in Stockport will offer enhanced support to young people from age 16 years to complement the support from Social Workers and Personal Advisers and other professionals supporting the young person. The offer consists of:
- 6 Progression Coaches who will provide intensive support before and after young people leave care
- Specialist Workers: Education and Careers Adviser, Accommodation lead, 2x lifelong links coordinators
- Clinical hub – providing emotional wellbeing and psychological support to young people (initially 16 to 18 years) and the professionals supporting young people.
How to make a Referral
If you are interested in making a referral to the staying close team the young person should be:
- aged over 16 and be a Stockport Looked After Child
- living in a children’s home or 16+ semi-independent provision with a pathway plan for living independently when they leave care at 18
- be willing to engage with support