Last updated 4 May 2018
Bank Holiday Events
This weekend is the fourth bank holiday of the year, you are probably wondering how you are going to spend it, here are a few events happening around the borough to help you out:
This weekend is the fourth bank holiday of the year, and you are probably wondering how you are going to spend it, here are a few events happening around the borough to help you out:
• Stockport Community Rail Festival - Sat 5 9:30am to 4:30pm at Edgeley Train Station
Celebrating the 175th Anniversary of the opening of Edgeley Station and the 50 years since the end of steam services. A fun day for the family and rail enthusiast, vintage trains, trams and lots of stalls.
• Stockport Book and Vinyl Fair - Sun 6th 10am to 3:00pm at Stockport Market, 30 The Market Place
A popular bi-monthly event held on the first Sunday of the month at the town's historic Market Hall. There will be stalls full of books, records, cassettes, CD's and other collectable items. Live music will be provided by local band, Pigs Can Fly and the Oak Tree Café will be open inside the Market Hall. Free parking is available nearby at the Churchgate car park
What’s On at Bramall Hall?
• Sat 5 and Sun 6 May: 2pm – Expert Guided Tour of the Hall (Standard Admission £2) Limited places, first come first served. You will gain a wonderful insight into this magnificent historic house which has witnessed seven centuries of colourful history from early medieval beginnings to present day
What’s On at Stockport Art Gallery?
• Sat 5 May: 11am to 1pm – Annual Exhibition Awards and Lecture presented by Stockport Photographic Society. This year's lecture is 'Travels in North India' by Terry Ottway, President Stockport Photographic Society. Free drop in session, suitable for ages 13 and up.
• Sat 5 May: 7pm to 9pm Stockport in the Days of Steam and Corporation Transport. A talk by Paul Shackcloth recalling the events of fifty years ago, when the steam locomotive ceased to operate regularly in the Stockport area and the last days of Stockport Corporation Transport. Paul will be covering all periods from inception up to 1968/9. £2.50 tickets in advance
• Sun 6 May: 10:30am to 12:30pm - Stockport Photowalk with Tony Bower Bring your smartphone and/or camera and come and join local photographer Tony Bower on a photo walk through Stockport starting at Stockport War Memorial Art Gallery. Join him afterwards to review your pictures and discuss them. Suitable for ages 16 and above. Telephone 0161 474 4453 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
What’s On at The Hatworks?
• Sun 6 May 1:00pm to 3:30pm - Hatters Walk Walk in the footsteps of Stockport’s hatters with hatting expert Sue Lea. This guided walk takes in the key sites and characters that played a part in Stockport’s hat trade. Sensible shoes recommended. Suitable for adults and children aged 10 and above. Children must be accompanied by an adult. Booking information 0161 474 2399, £8.
Peter Ashworth, Culture & Leisure Head of Service Place Development said: “I hope everyone enjoys the bank holiday weekend. If you are looking for events to attend or places to visit, hopefully these ideas will help. There is plenty going on over the weekend and all events are family friendly.”
Visit our events listing to see all of our Bank holiday events