Mental capacity act training
By the end of this session learners will:
- know when an assessment of capacity is required and how to apply the 5 principals of the MCA
- develop skills in carrying out assessments of capacity and how they should be recorded
- understand the role of the decision maker in best interest decisions
- know how to apply the best interest checklist and weigh up options to make a Best Interest decision
- understand the role of Lasting Power of Attorney and Court Appointed Deputies
- know when and how to contact the Court of Protection
- understand the role, responsibilities and involvement of the Independent Mental Capacity Advocate
- understand the interface of the Mental Capacity Act and the Mental Health Act
- understand what might constitute a Deprivation of Liberty
- case studies
- group work
- examples of good record keeping of decisions
- summary of recently published findings by the Care Quality Commission on the implementation of the MCA by provider services
Supervisors and managers of provider services who hold responsibility for the correct implementation of the MCA in their service and the correct recording of assessments and best interest decisions made.
No charge is made for attendance on this training. A £45 non-attendance charge will apply for delegates who do not attend the course having reserved a space. The delegates employer will be invoiced for this charge.
The non-attendance charge will be waived if:
- a substitute delegate is sent on the course
- the delegate cancels their space on the course at least 5 working days before the course date.
If you are interested in this course or have any further queries please complete the course enquiry form for further information.
The course lasts for 1 day, and is held in Conference rooms 1 and 2, Learning and Development Centre, 1st Floor, Stopford House.
Full details of the venue will be sent to delegates who reserve a place.
Please note that car parking spaces in the surrounding area is limited and on a pay-and-display basis.
You can view upcoming course dates and book a place on the course via the Learning Pool.
If you have not done so, before you attend the course you will need to register for Learning Pool. Watch the video below for help with registering.