Manchester South Coroner's service

5. Deaths abroad

When a person dies outside of England and Wales the details will be referred to the Coroner once the body is resting with the Undertaker in England, the Coroner for the area where the body is to be interred (cremated or buried) will deal with the matter.

The Coroner will review all information provided on the circumstances of the death and, as is normal procedure, indicate if further investigations are required such as a post mortem examination or Inquest. The next of kin will be kept informed of the Coroners decision.

Please note: the death will be registered in the country where the death occurred. The death may also be registered with the British Authorities as a Consular Registration.

You can find more information on GOV.UK on what to do after a British National dies abroad.