LED street lighting
Last updated 28 July 2022
1. Improved street lighting across Stockport
We’re investing in improved street lighting across Stockport by upgrading street lights to Light Emitting Diode (LED) units.
We’ll be upgrading over 33,000 street lights to provide brighter, more targeted lighting to roads and pavements across the borough.
The new street lights will improve the quality of lighting provided for residents and businesses.
Benefits of LED street lighting:
- a significant cut in energy cost and carbon emissions each year, reducing our carbon footprint
- a more controllable light source that concentrates light on where it’s needed with less light pollution
- a reduction in ‘sky glow’, glare and light intrusion into homes and gardens
- a ‘white’ light which improves visibility for road users, compared to traditional ‘orange’ street lights
- instant light with no warm-up time
- a longer lifetime than traditional street lights, reducing maintenance costs
The investment will also help us continue to deliver vital services.
54% of our electricity costs, excluding schools, relate to energy use on street lights. Once our investment into LED lighting has been made these costs will be reduced by around 40% a year. Maintenance costs will also be reduced. Savings that are vital for us.
In some cases, we may need to adjust the position of an existing street light or install additional lights to achieve the required lighting levels for the road.
You can find more information about our LED improvements on our document page. This includes details about what to expect before, during and after works take place.
The LED improvement work is part-financed by a government funded interest-free loan from Salix Finance.