Information for tenants

2. Repairs in your home

If repairs are needed in your home, check your tenancy agreement for whose responsibility it is to fix them. You should only carry out repairs if the tenancy agreement says you can. If you do not have a copy of the agreement, contact your landlord.

Before you report a property repair

If your landlord is responsible for the repairs you must get in touch with them first before contacting us.

To contact your landlord about repairs follow these steps:

How to find contact details for your landlord

It's your landlord’s responsibility to give you their contact details or the details of their agent.

If this information is not on your tenancy agreement or you do not have one, contact Shelter about your rights. If you rent privately you can use the Land Registry to request your landlords details, for a small fee. Always check for their details on any invoices or letters from them first.

We can help you if you've contacted your landlord and they've refused to do the work. Report the problem to us if after 14 days the landlord has not responded to you.

Report property repairs