Information for tenants
1. Before you rent a property
When you rent a property, your landlord must give you a copy of the ‘How to Rent’ booklet, which will guide you through the start of your tenancy.
Your landlord must keep the property you live in safe and free from health hazards. This includes fire, gas and electrical safety. You can visit GOV.UK to find out more about your landlord's safety responsibilities.
Your landlord must also:
- give you a copy of the Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) for the property
- give you a copy of the gas safety certificate
- provide working smoke and carbon monoxide detection in the property
- provide you with evidence that your deposit has been protected
Find out more information about private renting, including your rights and responsibilities.