Information for landlords
Last updated 27 June 2023
8. Changes to the way HMO's are licensed
On the 1 October 2018 the way HMO’s are licensed changed. All HMO’s, regardless of the number of storeys, require a licence if there are 5 or more people from 2 or more households where you share bathrooms, toilets or cooking facilities.
View the Houses in Multiple Occupation (Prescribed Description) (England) Order 2018 for more information.
New HMO licensing conditions
Minimum room sizes
New conditions mean that the mandatory minimum room size for sleeping accommodation is:
- 6.51m² for one person over the age of 10
- 10.22m² for 2 people over the age of 10
- 4.64m² for one child under the age of 10
- any room in a HMO which is less than 4.64m² cannot be used as sleeping accommodation
Landlords must make sure that they comply with the storage and waste disposal scheme.
For more information read the Licensing of Houses in Multiple Occupation (Mandatory Conditions of Licences) (England) Regulations 2018.
Note: if you have an existing licence, the new conditions will only apply when your licence needs renewing.
For more information, email email@example.com