Getting married or forming a civil partnership

2. Notice of intention

Appointment only

You must make an appointment with the Register Office to give your notice of intention to marry. At the appointment you'll need to provide the confirmed date and time of your ceremony. Once you have this, call us on 0161 217 6007 to book your appointment.

Due to high demand, the Register Office is prioritising appointments for giving notice of marriage. Only contact the office if your ceremony is taking place within the next 4 months.

Before you can marry in a register office, approved premises or non-Anglican church, you must both give notice of your intention to marry. A fee per person will be charged for giving each notice. The fee will higher for each notice if you're referred to the Home Office as a couple, under the referral and investigation scheme.

You'll also be charged a non-refundable administration fee of £5 per person.

Service Fee for notices before 28 May 2024 Fee from 28 May 2024
Notice of intention: standard £35 £42
Notice of intention: Home Office referral £47 £57

Legal notice may be given up to 12 months before the date of the wedding. The notice is a legal statement, which can only be given and signed by the persons getting married. You cannot ask a friend or relative to give notice for you. The notices must be given in person and not online.

The following conditions apply to giving notice of your intention to marry:

  • you must both have lived in a district in England and Wales for 7 completed days before the date you both give notice of your marriage
  • this is normally your home address. Notice must be given to your local register office where you've acquired this residency
  • if you both live in the same district it's recommended that you attend the register office together to give your notices
  • if you live in a different district to the person you're marrying, you must give notice in both districts

If you choose to marry in a register office or approved venue outside the district where you live, you must first contact the Superintendent Registrar of the district where the venue is located, to make a provisional booking with them.

After you've given notice, you must wait at least 28 days after both notices have been given before your marriage can take place.