Householders: check if you need planning permission

The Planning Portal

The Planning Portal provides:

  • an introduction to the planning process
  • information on why you may need to apply for planning permission

Planning permission

You may need planning permission for a wide variety of development works on your house. To find out if you need planning permission use the interactive house on the Planning Portal below:

Use the interactive house

Before you apply for planning permission, familiarise yourself with our:

If planning permission is required

If you do need planning permission, you'll need to provide us with the necessary scaled plans and supporting information. View our checklists to help identify all the information required for your proposal.

If you need further advice, you can submit a pre-application enquiry. Note: there is an advice fee for this service.

Submit your planning application

If planning permission is not required

In some cases you do not need to apply for planning permission but you will need to apply for Building Regulations approval to carry out:

  • works to protected trees
  • some other forms of statutory consent

You must make sure that all necessary consents are in place before starting a development.

Find more information about Building Regulations on our Building Regulations page.

Permitted Development Rights

The Planning Portal also provides information on permitted development rights. This allows you to make certain types of minor changes to your house without needing to apply for planning permission.

You can find more information on the Planning Portal's permitted development rights page.

Larger home extensions: Neighbourhood Consultation Scheme

As a householder you can build larger single storey rear extensions under permitted development. This is defined as extending beyond the rear wall of the original house by:

  • over 4 and up to 8 metres for detached houses; and
  • over 3 and up to 6 metres for all other houses, including terraced and semi-detached houses

Note: the original house means as it was built, or as it stood on 1 July 1948. Although you may not have built an extension to the house, a previous owner may have.

New larger extensions must go through the planning process and you will need to provide:

  • a written description of the proposal, including:
    • the length the extension extends beyond the rear wall of the original house
    • the height at the eaves
    • the height at the highest point of the extension
  • a plan of the site, showing the proposed development
  • the addresses of any adjoining properties, including at the rear
  • a contact address for the developer and an email address if the developer is happy to receive correspondence by email

To help you decide if your development can proceed under permitted development rules visit the Planning Portal for more information.

To find specific information about your property and any potential constraints around planning developments, visit our development plan page.

Proof from us that you do not need planning permission

If you need proof from us that planning permission is not required for your planning proposal, you can request a Certificate of Lawful Development. For example; if you want to sell your house at a later date.

You can apply for the certificate through the Planning Portal. You'll need to provide the relevant application forms and drawings.

View our checklists to help identify all the documents you'll need to get your certificate.

Before your application can be validated, you'll also need to pay a fee. Visit the Planning Portal to find out how much a Certificate of Lawful Development costs.