Home boarding for cats and dogs

1. The licence

Home boarding establishments are licensed as part of the Animal Boarding Establishment Act 1963. These establishments are usually where one or two animals are cared for in another person’s home as a family pet, and as part of a business.

Before making an application you should read through the DEFRA guidance notes below. It provides general and specific licence conditions that are attached to the licence and information on how to meet each required standard.

Animal boarding falls into 3 separate categories:

How to apply

To apply for a home boarders licence you must read the Conditions for boarding cats and dogs (PDF 153Kb) before you download and complete the form below

Animal boarding licence application

PDF, 128 KB

This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology.

There is an application fee which you must be pay when you make your application. You can find full details on our fees page.

How to pay

You can send a cheque for the cost of the licence enclosed with your application form to

Licensing Team
Environmental Health and Trading Standards
Fred Perry House
Edward Street

Or you can email your application to licensing@stockport.gov.uk.

If you have an invoice you can call 0161 474 4181 and ask for business support.

The inspection

Before we grant you a licence we must arrange for an inspection of your premises to make sure you meet current legislation. Cheshire East Council will carry out the inspection on our behalf and they may be accompanied by a vet. Once they're satisfied that you comply with the necessary requirements, we'll issue your licence awarding a star rating of up to 5 stars and up to 3 years in length.