Highways and transport advice for new development

These pages provide advice on highways and transport issues relating to new development and planning applications. For advice on other highway matters, visit the parking, roads and travel pages. You can also apply for dropped kerbs, a new access to your property.

8. Advice on driveway surfacing

Planning permission is now required to construct a new driveway. It's also needed when extending an existing driveway or replacing and resurfacing an existing driveway, unless the driveway is surfaced and drained in a certain way.

The Planning Portal provides advice on when planning permission is required. But householders are also advised to refer to the council’s planning advice for driveways (PDF 852Kb) which provides detailed advice and examples.