Help with benefit appeals

Visit the Citizens Advice website for general help and advice about benefits or call their Advice Line on 0808 278 7803.

Our help with benefit appeals team can help if you disagree with your benefit decision.

For most benefits there is a 2 stage process for challenging the decision.

Appealing your benefit decision

There are different rules for Housing Benefit appeals and Council Tax Support appeals.

After you've received your benefit decision, you have one month to request a mandatory reconsideration. If this is unsuccessful, the next stage is to appeal the decision. You'll have another month from the date on the decision letter to send an appeal form.

For most benefits, you'll need to complete an SSCS1 form. For Tax Credit appeals, you'll need to complete an SSCS5 form. You can appeal some of these benefits online.

Once you've submitted your SSCS1 or SSCS5 appeal form you can request an appointment with one of our Benefit Appeal advisors. They can help if you need further advice with your appeal. In most cases, they'll be able to represent you at the appeal hearing.

Request an appointment with a specialist advisor