Help other people get online
2. Become a Digital Champion
Anyone who has used the internet can become a Digital Champion. As a Digital Champion you'll support family, friends, colleagues or people in the community to learn digital skills.
Gill OwenDigital Champion
I’ve always liked helping people and I’ve always had quite an analytical mind. That’s the sort of thing I like doing because I like solving problems.
Skills that you'll need
You only need basic digital skills as there’s training available on supporting learners. You'll need to be enthusiastic about the benefits of being online and sharing this with others.
Other skills that you'll need, include:
- good communication and active listening
- patience and building trust with learners
- motivation to help others learn
- confidence in sharing your knowledge
If you're a Digital Champion you do not need to commit to set hours. You can choose when you'd like to start and how many hours you'd like to do. You'll provide support in one to one and group sessions, in a relaxed and informal environment.
There's a variety of training available, including:
- an online training course from Learn My Way
- handy guides from Digital Unite
- face to face training from Starting Point
How to become a Digital Champion
If you'd like to become a Digital Champion, call the DigiKnow Helpline on 07537 127095 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.