Help getting food

Support Funds

If you're a Stockport resident, you can apply to Support Funds for help in a financial crisis. Help could include:

  • a food bank referral
  • items for your home, for example a cooker, fridge or washing machine
  • gas and electricity top up for prepaid meters
  • help paying your Council Tax
  • payment of a shortfall in rent
  • help to apply to a charity or trust fund

For more information and to apply for support, you can visit our Support Funds web page.

Food Banks

Stockport has 2 main foodbank services, Stockport Foodbank (Trussell Trust) and Chelwood Foodbank Plus, that operate in multiple locations across Stockport. Both foodbanks operate on a referral basis and offer a food parcel containing 3 days’ supply of food for a household that can be accessed 3 times in a 13-week period. Foodbanks can also provide toilet rolls and other personal hygiene items, as well as nappies and baby wipes for those who need these items.

To access a referral, to either Stockport Foodbank or Chelwood Foodbank Plus, contact one of the registered referring partners:

  • Citizens Advice Stockport: 0808 278 7803
  • Stockport Council Community Welfare Helpline: 0161 474 2140
  • Stockport Support Hub 0161 474 1042
  • Stockport Homes Housing Support (for Stockport Homes customers): 0161 474 3773
  • Stockport Homes Debt advice: 0161 217 6016 Option 3

Schools can also make referrals to foodbanks for families where the child or children attend. You can also get a referral from your social worker or health visitor.

Chelwood Foodbank Plus only

You can make a self-referral by visiting and completing the form. Presentation of evidence of financial hardship at the foodbank is required to complete the self-referral process. More information can be found online at the link above.

Community Foodbanks

Stockport also has 2 small-scale community foodbanks that can be accessed directly by those living in the local community.

If you live in Marple, you can get help with food from The Pantry (Marple Food bank) at All CONNECT, 23 Queen St, Marple, Stockport, SK6 6BQ on Saturdays between 10am and midday.

If you live in Gatley, you can visit Gatley Foodbank at Bethany Church, Church Road, Gatley, Stockport, SK8 4NQ. Gatley food bank is open on Mondays and Wednesdays from 2pm to 3pm and on Saturday from 9:30am to midday.

Healthy Start Vouchers

If you have a child under the age of 4 or are pregnant, you may be eligible for support through the NHS Healthy Start Scheme. You can find more information on the Healthy Start website. You can also ask a midwife or health visitor for help or phone the Healthy Start helpline on 0345 607 6823.

Help with benefits

You can find information and advice about benefits on the Citizens Advice website, or by calling 0808 278 7803.