Help getting food
Last updated 1 November 2023
If you're a Stockport resident, you can apply to Support Funds for help in a financial crisis. Help could include:
- a food bank referral
- items for your home, for example a cooker, fridge or washing machine
- gas and electricity top up for prepaid meters
- help paying your Council Tax
- payment of a shortfall in rent
- help to apply to a charity or trust fund
For more information and to apply for support, you can visit our Support Funds web page.
Stockport has 2 main food bank services: Stockport Foodbank, provided by the Trussell Trust, and Chelwood Foodbank Plus. They each operate in multiple locations across Stockport. Both food bank services operate on a referral basis and offer a food parcel containing 3 days’ supply of food for a household that can be accessed 3 times in a 13 week period. Food banks can also provide toilet rolls and other personal hygiene items, as well as nappies and baby wipes for those who need these items.
To access a referral to either Stockport Foodbank or Chelwood Foodbank Plus, contact one of the registered referring partners:
- Citizens Advice Stockport: 0808 278 7803
- Stockport Council Community Welfare Helpline: 0161 474 2140
- Stockport Support Hub: 0161 474 1042
- Stockport Homes Debt advice: 0161 217 6016, Option 3
- if you're a Stockport Homes customer, you can contact Stockport Homes Housing Support: 0161 474 3773
Schools can also make referrals to food banks for families where the child or children attend. You can also get a referral from your social worker or health visitor.
Chelwood Foodbank Plus self-referrals
You can make a self-referral by visiting the Chelwood Foodbank Plus website and completing the form. You must present evidence of financial hardship at the food bank to complete the self-referral process. More information can be found online at the link above.
Stockport also has 2 small-scale community foodbanks that can be accessed directly by those living in the local community.
If you live in Marple, you can get help with food from The Pantry, which is Marple's food bank. You can find it at:
23 Queen Street
The Pantry is open on Saturdays between 10am and midday.
If you live in Gatley, you can visit Gatley Food bank at:
Gatley food bank is open:
- Mondays and Wednesdays from 2pm to 3pm
- Saturdays from 9:30am to midday
Healthy Start Vouchers
If you have a child under the age of 4 or are pregnant, you may be eligible for support through the NHS Healthy Start Scheme. You can find more information on the Healthy Start website. You can also ask a midwife or health visitor for help, or phone the Healthy Start helpline on 0345 607 6823.
Help with benefits
You can find information and advice about benefits on the Citizens Advice website, or by calling 0808 278 7803.