Headstones and memorials
Last updated 31 March 2023
1. Headstone installation and maintenance
For safety reasons only memorial masons registered with Stockport Council are permitted to install or carry out work to headstones. This includes additional inscriptions.
What to do:
- check the headstones specification guide (PDF 459Kb)
- contact a number of registered memorial masons (Excel 58Kb) from our approved list to discuss your options and obtain quotes
- select a quote you are happy with
- submit a memorial permit to work application (PDF 202Kb)
- pay the appropriate cemetery charges
- complete all work within 6 months of permit issue
Please be aware that grave deed holders are fully responsible for headstones. You may therefore wish to insure your headstone.
We periodically carry out safety inspections of all headstones. We'll take action to temporarily make safe a headstone when required. This will be in accordance with our memorial safety policy and procedures (PDF 389Kb).
Any unauthorised headstones found may be removed without notice and charges for their removal applied.