Deductions for other adults in your home

1. Non-dependants and Housing Benefit

If you have friends, relatives or anyone over 18 living in your home, you may get less Housing Benefit. This includes children who've left school or college who you no longer get Child Benefit for. These people are called non-dependants.

Depending on their age and income, they may have to pay towards the rent and Council Tax. The amounts they may have to pay towards rent are fixed by the government and are called non-dependant deductions.

Non-dependant deductions from Council Tax Support are set by us as part of the local Council Tax scheme.