Getting a care needs assessment

4. Someone to speak for you

If you're finding it difficult to arrange or manage your own care, you can ask someone to speak or act on your behalf. This is called advocacy.

You can choose your own advocate or we can arrange an independent advocate for you as part of the assessment process.

You may need an advocate if you need help in:

  • understanding and protecting your rights
  • understanding information
  • understanding your options
  • making decisions about your life
  • telling people what you want
  • challenging decisions that you do not agree with