Free school meals
Last updated 25 May 2022
3. How to apply
If you want to claim free school meals then you should complete the free school meals application form below. You'll need your National Insurance number so have it ready before you start.
You should note that
- if your child attends a school in Stockport you must make your claim for free school meals with us
- if you live in Stockport and your child attends a school outside of Stockport, your claim should be made with the authority who educates your child
- free school meals are available if your child attends nursery for full days at a maintained school in Stockport
- free schools meals are not usually available for children who go to independent (private) schools
- schools cannot provide free meals to children until authorised by the council
- children who are 16 and over and have left school can't get free school meals. However, you can apply direct to their further-education college for free meals if you receive a qualifying income
- if you are a household with no recourse to public funds (NRPF) status we need additional information. To verify your eligibility email email@example.com after you have submitted your claim
When we have dealt with your claim we'll tell you and the school if your child is entitled to receive free school meals.
If you need help getting online, you can call the Digiknow helpline on 07724 217888.
Apply for other support
If you're a Stockport resident and you are not eligible for free school meals you can apply for support, including:
- help with accessing food
- sourcing items you might need for your home
- help with secondary school uniform
- gas and electricity top up for prepaid meters
- help with your Council Tax
- help with your rent
- help to apply to a charity or trust fund
For more information, visit our apply for support in a crisis web page.
You can also contact the school your child goes to, to find out what support they can provide.