Food premises registration

1. Overview

Food businesses must register with the council. EC regulation No. 852/2004 on the Hygiene of Foodstuffs, Article 6 (2) requires food businesses to register with the local environmental health department.

Food businesses must complete a registration form and submit it to us 28 days prior to opening.

  • if you use premises in more than one council area, you must register with each authority separately
  • you must tick all the boxes that apply to your business, answer all the questions and give all information requested
  • seasonal businesses operating for a certain period each year should give the dates between which they will be open
  • if you are a mobile trader you must register with the council where the vehicle/trailer is stored overnight

For further information visit the Food Standards Agency website.