Financial support in a crisis

2. Household Support Grant

If you're struggling financially, we may be able to help you if you're struggling to pay for:

  • food
  • fuel
  • travel
  • caring responsibilities
  • home schooling

Lost income

You can apply for the Household Support Grant if you've lost income because of:

  • reductions in working hours
  • redundancy
  • Universal Credit adjustments due to wage reductions

You can also apply if coronavirus (COVID-19) has affected your income because:

  • you're self-employed
  • you've changed career


You can apply if you live in Stockport and one of the following apply:

  • you’re employed or self-employed
  • you’ve been made redundant recently
  • you get certain benefits
  • you’ve recently left a care home, hospital or prison

You must also be able to prove that:

  • you cannot pay for basic living costs
  • you’re prepared to take action to improve your finances

You cannot apply if you've received Support Funds in the last 12 months for the same problems.


To apply for the fund, we may ask you for evidence that you cannot pay for essential things.

What you'll get

The support you get will depend on your circumstances.

You might get:

  • food bank referrals, Local Pantry subscriptions or grocery vouchers
  • prepayment meter top-ups
  • bus tickets
  • high street clothing vouchers
  • money to help pay for up to 5 weeks of living costs

We'll also give you guidance and referrals to other services who can help you improve your finances.

Apply for the Household Support Grant