Exploring the museum
5. Research facilities
There is space to relax, to read, and to reflect on your visit to the museum.
There are oral histories to listen to, and films to watch. All of our hat books and papers have been relocated to this area, and we welcome researchers.
Hat Works has the UK’s only collection devoted to hats. The museum is aiming to become a world centre for research on hats, headwear and the hatting industry.
Our small hat book library, collection of related documents and hatting ephemera is available to researchers Monday to Friday. However, you'll need to book an appointment.
The information sheets are listed below to view and download:
- From bunnies to factory gates (PDF 738Kb)
- It made them mad (PDF 388Kb)
- Bowing and blowing (PDF 593Kb)
- A hood is born (PDF 630Kb)
- Planking (PDF 566Kb)
- Proofing or the best of both worlds (PDF 763Kb)
- Blocking (PDF 555Kb)
- The finishing touches (PDF 465Kb)
- Trimming (PDF 579Kb)
- Recommended reading (PDF 366Kb)