Empty properties

There are no discounts for:

  • properties left vacant
  • empty homes that require repair
  • holiday homes or second homes (furnished properties that are not used as a main residence)

If your property has been empty and substantially unfurnished for two years or more, you'll need to pay an empty home premium on top of the full Council Tax charge for your property. The premium will be applied two years after the date from which the property first became empty, not the date of ownership.

The premiums are:

  • 1 April 2019 - 100% of the full Council Tax charge for your property
  • 1 April 2020 - 200% if your property has been empty for more than 5 years
  • 1 April 2021 - 300% for properties empty for over 10 years

You must tell us if your property becomes occupied so that we can make sure you are paying the right amount of Council Tax.

Other circumstances

Properties left unoccupied due to requirements of employment

If the duties of employment require that an employee resides in another property, a 50% reduction may apply on an unoccupied property when it's been left empty.

Occupied annexe

A 50% discount applies to annexes occupied by the residents of the main building or by a relative (including parents, children and grandparents) who do not qualify for any other reduction.

If a non-family member occupies the annexe then the discount will not apply.

Second homes

Where a property is substantially furnished, but unoccupied, no reduction applies.

How to apply

There are a number of circumstances where a property may become empty / occupied. You'll need to notify us about this if:

  • you're permanently moving from a property and it will become an empty property
  • you've been awarded a reduction and your circumstances have changed

Tell us about your change of address