Are you getting all the financial help you are entitled to?

If you need help with the cost of living, you can find support and guidance for food, fuel and money on our webpages.

You can also find out where to get help.

Difficulties paying your Council Tax

Do not wait for a reminder to arrive or ignore the problem. If you do you may have to pay further costs.

Council Tax is a priority debt along with your mortgage, rent and fuel bills. If you do not keep your payments up to date, recovery action will be taken.

You should also check to see if you can get a reduction on your Council Tax or any Council Tax support.

Direct Debit is the easiest way to pay. It's simple, quick and safe and you do not need to remember to pay. You can spread your payments over the year with a choice of 3 payment dates on the 1st, 15th and 25th of the month.

You can also use the form to:

  • tell us about a change to the Bank or Building Society account that you want to make payments from
  • make a change to your Direct Debit payment date

Set up a Direct Debit

Request a payment plan

If you’ve fallen behind it may be possible to agree a payment plan that you can afford where your payments are spread out across the year.

You’ll need to work out how much you can offer to pay us. Make a list of all the money coming in to your household such as you and your partners take home pay, pension and maintenance. Then list all your outgoings such as fuel bills, mortgage or rent. An online benefits calculator will help you prepare your personal budget plan.

Request a payment plan

What happens if you do not pay?

Your Council Tax bill tells you exactly when and how much you have to pay.

If you do not pay as requested, we’ll send you a reminder notice and may take further recovery action against you. Failure to pay your Council Tax may affect your credit rating.

Our policy on the recovery of monies owed to us can be found in the corporate debt recovery code (PDF 456Kb).

Council Tax text message service

If you’re behind with payments of your Council Tax or Sundry Debt account, we may contact you using a text message.

A company called Commify/Esendex will send the text message on our behalf.

You’ll know that the SMS text messages are genuine as they will show as being sent by Stockport BC. The message will include to a link to our website where you can make a payment, set up a direct debit or get advice and support.

This service is confidential. Your mobile number will not be shared with anyone else and you won’t get any other marketing messages sent to your phone.

To opt out of receiving a text message, email or call 0161 217 6014.

Have you received a summons letter?

If you've received a Council Tax summons you must follow the instructions on your letter. You can either:

If you cannot make a payment, we'll apply for a liability order which is a legal demand for payment. We'll then contact you for further information about your financial circumstances.

Find more information on what actions we must take in order to legally recover any Council Tax arrears by visiting GOV.UK

Visit GOV.UK

If you need advice about any debts you have, you can find out more on our Debt advice pages.