In detention or prison

You will not pay Council Tax if the property is left unoccupied and the person in prison intends to return.

You will pay Council Tax if one person aged over the age of 18 remains in the property. However, you may be able to get a 25% Council Tax reduction if a person who normally lives at your address is:

  • on remand, or in prison for a crime other than non-payment of Council Tax
  • being held in a hospital or other place on mental health grounds as a result of a court order

Apply for a Council Tax reduction