Debt advice

4. Rent or mortgage arrears

If you are struggling to pay your rent or mortgage try to pay as much as you can even if it is not the full amount. The next step to take is to prepare a personal budget plan – view our section on managing money.

You can then contact your landlord or mortgage lender to try to set up a repayment plan. If this does not work you can contact us for further advice.

If you have received a warrant to evict you from your home please contact us urgently either by requesting an appointment with a specialist debt adviser or by telephoning 0161 217 6003.

We will be able to help you apply to the County Court to suspend the eviction and represent you at the hearing - there is a fee for this application but if you are in receipt of certain benefits or on a low income you will either be exempt or only have to pay a proportion of the fee.

The court may ask you to provide evidence of your income.

We will also be able to check that you are getting all of the benefits you are entitled to and may be able to reach an agreement with your landlord or mortgage lender before the hearing to stop the eviction going ahead.

Further information about rent and mortgage arrears is available on the National Debtline website.