Deductions for other adults in your home

1. Overview

If you have friends, relatives or anyone over 18 living in your home, you may get less Council Tax Support.

These people are called non-dependants.

They may be expected to pay towards Council Tax depending on their income. The amounts they are expected to pay are called non-dependant deductions.

There are two different dependant deductions;

  1. One for applicants of Working Age (i.e. anyone who is not at the age where they will qualify for Pension Credit)
  2. One for pensioners.

Non dependant deductions from Housing Benefit are different and have been set by the Government.