Covered Market Hall
Last updated 23 August 2016
The Covered Market Hall is a Grade II listed building dating from 1861. It is located in the town’s historic core, designated as the Market/Underbanks conservation area.
The site has housed a market from the late Anglo-Saxon period. With the granting of a formal charter in 1260, it has been in continuous use as a market ever since.
The main aim of the project was to restore the historic building. At the same time maintaining its original function and character whilst vastly improving the facilities offered for the public and traders alike. In terms of the wider area, this project was the final component in an extensive programme of works carried out by the Conservation Team to regenerate the historic market place.
The project team secured a Heritage Lottery Fund grant of just under £1 million in 2006. This was used to implement the scheme. Work was split into two phases to enable the market to continue trading from January to November 2008.
The Hall had fallen into a poor state of repair and was overcrowded with small stalls inadequate for trader's needs. Internally, it had lost much of its original Victorian character.
The project included the restoration and repair of the external envelope of the historic Hall and its interior. Careful restoration and redecoration of the structure has rejuvenated the original design and creates a striking interior.