Council Tax Support and how to claim
Last updated 8 June 2022
If you're a low income household you may be able to get a reduction on your Council Tax.
The amount of Council Tax Support you get will be based on:
- your family circumstances
- the money and earnings you have coming in
- any savings you have. If your capital exceeds £8000, you will not qualify. If you are of Pension age you will not qualify if your capital exceeds £16,000.
- the amount of Universal Credit you receive
You can find out how much Council Tax Support you may be entitled to by using the GOV.UK online calculator.
Find more information:
Second Adult Rebate
If you're of pension age you can apply for a Second Adult Rebate, of up to a maximum of 25%, if a second adult living in your property is on a low income.
You may be able to get a reduction if:
- you're of pension age and
- other adults on a low income live with you