Support with your Council Tax

This is a difficult time for many of our residents and coronavirus is having a significant impact on our economy.

Your Council Tax pays for essential services that are delivered to all residents in Stockport. It's really important that if your circumstances have not changed, or if you're able to, that you continue to pay what you should by maintaining your Direct Debit payments, or payment plan, as shown on your bill.

Struggling to pay your Council Tax

If you're struggling to pay your Council Tax:

  • make sure you've claimed all of the benefits that you're entitled to:
  • for information about debt problems and how to resolve them yourself, you can visit:
  • get in touch with us now. We can make sure you're getting all the support that you're entitled to. If you're already behind with payments, we can consider everything you owe us and help you avoid any extra costs or charges

Council Tax Support

Working age Council Tax payers who get Council Tax Support are entitled to a further reduction in their Council Tax for 2020/21. Accounts have now been credited an extra £150. If your balance is less than £150, then your Council Tax bill will be zero.

You do not need to contact us as this has been done automatically. Revised bills have now been issued and should be with you within 7 working days. If you register for My Account you can get your bill online.

We've also cancelled the application for Liability Orders to the Magistrates Court which should have been held on 2 April 2020. If you were due to appear, you'll have the summons cancelled and costs removed from your account.

Discretionary Hardship Support

If you're struggling financially to pay your Council Tax, you can apply for a Discretionary Hardship payment. You can apply even if you're not getting Council Tax Support.

To apply and find out more information about the payment, visit our discretionary hardship payments for Council Tax pages.

Contact us

To get the quickest response from our team contact us via web chat on our website.

You can also email

Note: we can deal with your enquiry quicker if you include your account reference number once in the subject line of the email. It must be in the following format. For example; Reference 5011111111. Do not include it again in the body of the email.

You can find your reference on your Council Tax bill. It's 10 characters long and starts with '50'.