Council Tax Energy Rebate

1. About the Council Tax Energy Rebate

The government has announced that councils will pay households in Council Tax bands A to D, a one-off Council Tax Energy Rebate of £150 to help towards their energy bills. We will be adding a £15 top-up to this amount, meaning all eligible households will receive £165.

Energy rebate scam

We're aware of several phone scams asking for your bank details to claim your energy rebate. These phone calls are fraudulent.

The energy rebate will be paid directly into your bank account if you pay Council Tax by direct debit. If you do not pay by direct debit, you'll be able to use our online process which will be on this page when it's available to use.

Receiving your rebate

The quickest way to receive your rebate is if you pay your Council Tax by Direct Debit. We already hold your bank account details so payments can be made quickly.

We've started to make Energy Rebate payments to residents who pay Council Tax by Direct Debit. Due to the number of payments that need to be made, they are being staggered. If you pay your Council Tax by Direct Debit, you'll receive your payment from the week starting 9 May 2022. You'll see the rebate payment in your bank account and do not need to contact us. We'll contact you if there are any issues in making the rebate payment.

If you do not pay your Council Tax by Direct Debit, you'll still receive a rebate but it may take longer. You can use our online form to claim your rebate.

Claim your Council Tax Energy Rebate


Your property must meet the following criteria on Friday 1 April 2022. It must be:

  • valued in Council Tax bands A to D. This includes property that's valued in band E but has an alternative valuation band of band D, because of the Disabled Band Reduction scheme
  • your sole or main residence
  • a chargeable dwelling, or in one of the following exemption classes:
    • N: all occupiers are qualifying students
    • S: all occupiers are under the age of 18
    • U: all occupiers are severely mentally impaired
    • W: a property that is an annex of the main property and is the home of a dependent relative of a person living in the main property

If your property meets all the criteria but has a nil Council Tax liability because of the household receiving full Council Tax Reduction, you'll be eligible for the rebate.

You will not be eligible for the rebate if:

  • the property has no-one living there permanently and is a second home
  • the property is unoccupied for the purpose of calculating Council Tax
  • the liable party for Council Tax at the property is:
    • a company or corporate body
    • a local authority
    • a housing association
    • the government or a government body

If you are not eligible for the rebate, you may be eligible for the Discretionary Energy Rebate Scheme.

You can visit our money advice and support webpages to find out what other help and financial support is available.