Council Tax bands

4. Appeals against liability

You may appeal if you consider that you are not liable to pay Council Tax, for example, because you think that:

  • you should receive a discount or disabled persons relief
  • your property should be exempt from Council Tax
  • you are not the person responsible for paying the Council Tax but we have sent you a Council Tax bill
  • we have wrongly sent you a penalty
  • you disagree with the date shown on a completion notice

If you wish to appeal on these grounds, you must firstly notify the council Tax section in writing so that we have the opportunity to reconsider the case.

Making an appeal does not allow you to withhold payment of Council Tax owing in the meantime. If your appeal is successful you will be entitled to a refund of any overpaid Council Tax.