Skip to main content

Council Tax Support appeals

If you disagree with a decision we have made on your Council Tax Support claim you can ask us to look at it again. This is known as lodging a grievance. You should write to us as soon as possible after the decision is made, giving full reasons why you think it is wrong.

We have two months to respond to your grievance. If you receive our response but you still disagree with the decision you can appeal. This must be done within two months of the date of our response.

As Council Tax Support is a discount your appeal will be against the amount of Council Tax you have been asked to pay and so will be dealt with by the Valuation Tribunal. More information about this, and the address you must sent your appeal to, can be found at

We will aim to respond to your grievance within two months. If we do not respond within this time limit you can appeal directly to The Valuation Tribunal.

You cannot appeal against the rules of our Local Council Tax Support Scheme for working age claimants, eg removal of backdating, band cap. You can only appeal if you think the rules have not been applied correctly in your case.

A copy of our Local Council Tax Support Scheme can be found below.

Council Tax Support Scheme for Working Age Claims 2017-18

PDF, 93 KB

This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology.