Face coverings in the Register Office
Face coverings must be worn at all times during your visit to the Register Office.
Stockport Register Office
Last updated 6 January 2021
We are currently offering a reduced service. The situation is changing rapidly and we continue to monitor advice given by the government and the General Register Office.
Registration of death
Our online form is currently unavailable. Death registrations will be conducted over the phone rather than a face to face visit. We'll contact you when we've received the paperwork from the doctor or coroner. If you do not receive a telephone call from us within 48 hours of receiving a call from the doctor or coroner advising they have provided us with the paperwork, call 0161 474 3363.
The hospital, GP or Coroner will scan and send the required documents directly to us. We'll contact the bereaved family within 48 hours of receiving the paperwork to advise of the process. All paperwork required to arrange the funeral will be sent to the funeral director. All other paperwork will be sent to the family after the registration process has been completed.
If you need help and support during this difficult time, you can call the:
- council's coronavirus helpline: 0161 217 6046. Monday to Thursday from 9am to 5pm. Friday from 9am to 4:30pm
- Greater Manchester Bereavement Service: 0161 983 0902
- NHS bereavement helpline: 0800 2600 400
- government coronavirus helpline: 0800 024 1222, Monday to Friday from 8am to 4pm
You can also find support and information if someone dies during the coronavirus pandemic on the GOV.UK website.
Registration of births
Appointments to register a birth
Following the latest government guidance we can now offer appointments to register a birth. We'll be operating a strict social distancing policy throughout our offices and you will not be able to access the building without an appointment. Face coverings must be worn at all times during your visit to the Register Office.
Before making an appointment
- if you or any member of your household has or is displaying symptoms of the coronavirus, do not make an appointment
- you'll be required to wear a face covering throughout your visit to the Register Office
- we'll be operating a strict social distancing policy throughout our offices and you will not be able to access the building without an appointment. Your safety as well as the safety of our Registrars is very important
- we'll make sure social distancing measures are followed. To minimise the risk please attend on your own if you're a married couple, as either mother or father can register. If you're not married, both parents can attend together as the fathers details must also be entered into the register
- do not bring prams or children into the office. If you do need to bring your baby with you, please use a baby carrier
- please arrive promptly at your appointment time. If you do arrive late you'll be asked to make another appointment. This is to make sure our appointments run on time and to help maintain social distancing
- you cannot register by declaration. Please contact the district where your baby was born
Marriages and Civil Partnerships
Notice of marriage
If you have a confirmed booking, we're now offering appointments for notices of marriage.
Following the latest government guidance, from Wednesday 6 January until restrictions are lifted, we're only able to offer wedding ceremonies and civil partnerships at our venues in exceptional circumstances. For example, an urgent marriage where one of those getting married is seriously ill and not expected to recover, or is to undergo debilitating treatment or life-changing surgery.
We'll be in touch if your event has been affected to discuss your options in more detail. We'll be contacting couples in order of their ceremony date. If you have any questions or concerns, you can contact the team on 0161 474 3451.
Wearing a face covering at your wedding or civil partnership
Face coverings must be worn by all guests and photographers at weddings and civil partnerships in places of worship, the Register Office and other approved venues.
Face coverings do not have to be worn by the bride, groom or civil partners.
We're continuing to offer a copy certificate application service. There may be a delay to the turnaround times due to the unprecedented demand for our service. We apologise in advance for this.
We can now offer citizenship ceremonies. Please contact us on 0161 474 3364 or 0161 474 3370.
EU Settlement Checking Scheme
The EU Settlement Checking Scheme has been temporarily suspended until further notice. The situation is changing rapidly and we continue to monitor advice given by the government and the General Register Office.