Stockport Register Office
Last updated 5 August 2021
We're experiencing some delays due to the demands on our service at this time.
Registration of death
Our online form is currently unavailable. Death registrations will be conducted over the phone rather than a face to face visit. We'll contact you when we've received the paperwork from the doctor or coroner. If you do not receive a telephone call from us within 48 hours of receiving a call from the doctor or coroner advising they have provided us with the paperwork, call 0161 474 3363.
The hospital, GP or Coroner will scan and send the required documents directly to us. We'll contact the bereaved family within 48 hours of receiving the paperwork to advise of the process. All paperwork required to arrange the funeral will be sent to the funeral director. All other paperwork will be sent to the family after the registration process has been completed.
If you need help and support during this difficult time, you can call the:
- council's coronavirus helpline: 0161 217 6046. Monday to Thursday from 9am to 5pm. Friday from 9am to 4:30pm
- Greater Manchester Bereavement Service: 0161 983 0902
- NHS bereavement helpline: 0800 2600 400
- government coronavirus helpline: 0800 024 1222, Monday to Friday from 8am to 4pm
You can also find support and information if someone dies during the coronavirus pandemic on the GOV.UK website.
Registration of births
Appointments to register a birth
Following the latest government guidance we can now offer appointments to register a birth. We're practising social distancing where possible. We encourage you to wear a face covering during your visit to the Register Office.
Before making an appointment
- if you or any member of your household has or is displaying symptoms of the coronavirus, do not make an appointment
- you'll be encouraged to wear a face covering throughout your visit to the Register Office
- we're practising social distancing where possible throughout our offices. Your safety as well as the safety of our Registrars is very important
- please arrive promptly at your appointment time. If you do arrive late you'll be asked to make another appointment. This is to make sure our appointments run on time and to help maintain social distancing
- you cannot register by declaration. Please contact the district where your baby was born
Marriages and Civil Partnerships
Notice of marriage
We're currently offering appointments for notice of marriage if your ceremony is taking place within the next 3 months.
We're continuing to offer a copy certificate application service. There are delays to the turnaround times due to unprecedented demand for our service. Thanks for your patience.
We can now offer citizenship ceremonies. Please contact us on 0161 474 3364 or 0161 474 3370.