Our copy certificate application service
We're continuing to offer a copy certificate application service. There are delays to the turnaround times due to unprecedented demand for our service. Thanks for your patience.
Last updated 26 April 2022
We can only supply copy certificates for births, deaths, marriages and civil partnerships that occurred in the Stockport Registration District.
For events not registered in the Stockport Registration District you'll need to contact the register office in the district where the event was registered, to buy a copy certificate.
Standard certificates contain all the details in the register and cost £11 each. Certificates are normally available for collection or posting out within 21 days.
We also offer an express service. The certificate will be issued the next working day after you make your application. Opening hours are Monday to Friday from 8:30am to 4:30pm and we're closed on bank holidays.
This is available for an extra fee of £24 per person, for example:
- if you order a copy of a certificate with an express service this will come to a total cost of £35. This includes the £11 cost of a copy certificate and VAT
- if you order 2 or more copies of the same certificate with an express service this will come to a total cost of:
- £46 for 2 copies (£11 for each copy plus £24 express service fee and VAT)
- £57 for 3 copies
- £68 for 4 copies
- if you order 2 different certificates with an express service this will come to a total cost of:
- £70 for 2 people (£11 for each certificate copy plus £24 for each person’s express service fee and VAT)
- £105 for 3 people (£11 for each certificate copy plus £24 for each person’s express service fee and VAT)
The register office is situated in the Town Hall. The entrance is on John Street (off Wellington Road South) and no appointment is necessary for copy certificate applications.
If you choose to have your certificates posted to your address, postal charges are:
- First class: £1
- First class signed for: £2
- Special delivery: £7
Stockport Register Office can accept no liability for items lost in the post and cannot guarantee delivery timescales for the chosen postage method.