Changes to certificate fees
From 16 February 2019, the Registration of Births, Deaths, Marriages and Civil Partnership (Fees) (Amendment) regulations comes into force. There will be changes to the following certificate fees:
- the three-tier certificate fees will be removed and replaced by one single (standard) fee of £11 per certificate, regardless of when the application is made. The fee of £11 will also apply to a Short Birth Certificate
- the introduction of statutory priority certificate of £35 for a 24 hour service
The new certificate fees are the same as the General Register Office.
We can only supply copy certificates for births, deaths, marriages and civil partnerships that occurred in the Stockport Registration District.
For events not registered in the Stockport Registration District you will need to contact the register office in the district where the event was registered, to buy a copy certificate.
Standard certificates contain all the details in the register and cost £10 each. Certificates are normally available for collection or posting out within 5 working days.
We also offer an express service for the same day issue of a copy certificate.
This is available for an extra fee of £12 per person, for example:
- if you order a copy of a certificate with an express service, this will come to a total cost of £22. This includes the £10 cost of a copy certificate and VAT.
- if you order two or more copies of a certificate with an express service, this will come to a total cost of £32 for 2 copies (£10 for each copy plus £12 express service fee and VAT), £42 for 3 copies, £52 for 4 copies, and so forth.
- if you order a copy of a certificate of two or more people with an express service, this will come to a total cost of £44 for 2 people (£10 for each certificate copy plus £12 for each person’s express service fee and VAT), £66 for 3 people (£10 for each certificate copy plus £12 for each person’s express service fee and VAT), and so forth.
Certificates are normally available on the same day or whilst you wait.
The Register Office is situated in the Town Hall, entrance is via John Street (off Wellington Road South) and no appointment is necessary for copy certificate applications.
Opening hours are 8:30am to 4:30pm, Monday to Friday.
If you choose to have your certificates posted to your address, postal charges are:
- First class: £1
- First class signed for: £2
- Special delivery: £7