Contacting the MASSH
Last updated 2 August 2021
1. Contacting the MASSH
The Multi-Agency Safeguarding and Support Hub (MASSH) is the single point of contact for the public and professionals to report concerns, request advice and share information about a child and or family.
Members of the public
If a child is at immediate risk of harm call the police on 999.
If you're a member of the public who has a concern about a child’s welfare, call 0161 217 6028. Select option 1.
If you're a parent or carer seeking support for your child, call 0161 217 6028. Select option 2.
If you're a professional you should decide on the level of need below. Levels of need are used to determine the kind of support a child or family requires.
Before you make a referral, you should have the consent of the family unless this will put the child at risk of harm.
Level 1 – Universal services
- children who make good overall progress through appropriate universal services
- there are no additional unmet needs or there's a single need identified that can be met by universal services
Level 2 – Additional needs
- children whose needs require additional support from targeted, as well as universal, services due to evidence their family may be struggling
- the needs of child may be unmet or unclear
- an Early Help Assessment is required to assess need and plan support
- the child is in need of emotional wellbeing, mental health or SEND support
Level 3 – Increasing concerns
- children with an increasing level of unmet need
- needs are deemed to be complex
- an assessment is required to determine the need and plan for support. This can be coordinated by a lead professional from a range of services including children’s social care
Level 4 – Safeguarding concerns
- children who have experienced significant harm and are in need of protection (Section 47) and includes children where there are significant welfare concerns (section 17)
- a single assessment coordinated by a social worker is required to determine the level of support or intervention
When you've determined the right level of need contact us by using the form below.
If the child is at immediate risk of harm call the Police on 999.
All professional referrals should be completed through the online forms below. However if it's your professional judgement that the MASSH require this information immediately as the child has suffered significant harm or is at risk of immediate harm you should call 0161 217 6028, select option 1. For out of hours emergencies call us on 0161 718 2118. After your discussion with the MASSH or Out of Hours service you may be advised to return to this page to complete the online form.
You can use this form to:
- tell us about a concern about a child’s welfare
- request support for your child or make a referral to Emotional Wellbeing Hub or SEND Hub
- request or share information about a child
- request advice about making a referral or advice about a child you are working with
The best way to contact us is through the online form so we can gather all the information we need, however you can also contact us on 0161 217 6028.
- select option 1 to tell us about a concern about a child’s welfare
- select option 2 to request support for your child, make a referral to Emotional Wellbeing Hub or SEND Hub, request advice about making a referral or request advice about a child you are working with