Skip to main content

Children leaving care

6. Entitlements and financial information

As a care leaver your social worker or personal adviser will talk to you about managing your money and financial entitlements. You may be able to access support to aid your transition to independence.

Take a moment to have a look at this money factsheet (PDF 327Kb) from the Become. Charity.


As a looked after child it is important that you know what your entitlements will be as you leave care.

The leaving care entitlements - 2017-18 (PDF 1.4Mb)) document explains your legal status as a care leaver. It also documents your financial entitlements.

Your legal status will depend on your age, when you were in care and how long. Your social worker or personal adviser will be able to advise you about this.

The level of support you may receive from Stockport Council will depend on your legal status as a care leaver. View the qualifying care leavers guide (PDF 32Kb) for more information.

It's important that you're aware of your rights and any financial assistance, including bursaries that are available to you. More information can be found in the GOV UK website - 16-19 bursary information.

Financial Information

Your carer, social worker and personal advisor will support you to gradually take responsibility for managing your own finances.

Any support that you need in this area will be in your pathway plan. You can also visit care leaver websites such as the Become. Charity and the Care Leavers Association.