Children in entertainment

4. School absence

The Local Authority may not grant a licence unless they're satisfied that the child’s education will not suffer by reason of taking part in the performances or activities.

Parents may be asked to speak to their child’s school about time off for the performance / activity. The Local Authority may specify that tutoring arrangements are made as a condition of the licence being granted.

Absence from school may only be authorised by the Headteacher. Absence may not be authorised for a pupil to take part in a performance without a Licence.

The Act and Regulations contain no provision under which absence from school may be authorised for an unlicensed performance.