Changing schools to start in September 2022

If you'd like to change schools to start in September 2022, you must apply between 27 June and 16 July 2022.

Changing schools during the school year

1. Changing schools

If you live in Stockport and wish to change school during the school year, all applications for Stockport school places must be made to our Admissions Support and Advice team.

You should also apply to our Admissions Support and Advice team if you're applying to transfer to a school that is maintained by Manchester City Council. The Admissions Support and Advice team will liaise with Manchester City Council to find out whether a place is available.

If you're a Manchester resident wanting to apply for a place at a Stockport school, you should make your application to Manchester City Council’s Admissions Team.

If you're applying to transfer to a school in another local authority, you'll need to contact the local authority the school resides in to discuss their process for changing schools during the year.

Please view the glossary of terms (PDF 324Kb) which contains more information.

Application open dates

Summer term 2022

  • 27 June to 15 July 2022, to start in September 2022

Autumn term 2022

  • 1 September to 8 October 2022
  • 30 October to 2 December 2022

Spring term 2023

  • 6 January to 27 January 2023
  • 20 February to 17 March 2023

Summer term 2023

  • 17 April to 12 May 2023
  • 12 June to 23 June 2023, to start before the summer holidays
  • 26 June to 14 July 2023, to start in September 2023

Moving House

If the application is linked to a change of address you must provide documentary evidence. This could be in the form of a solicitor's letter, Council Tax or tenancy agreement. We reserve the right to seek further information if necessary.

Other reasons for changing school

Sometimes a change of school cannot be avoided because of a change of address or new job. However, there may be a number of other reasons why you wish to change your child's nursery, primary or secondary school. It may be that your child has struggled with bullying, their workload or suffers from a poor relationship with their teacher.

It's important to understand that changing schools may not be the answer, as the situation may continue at a new school. We advise parent/carers to discuss your reasons for wanting to transfer with your current school prior to making any application.