If one person over the age of 18 in the property isn't a carer you will pay Council Tax, however you may be able to get a 25% Council Tax reduction.

You may be able to get a reduction if:

  • you live at the same property as the person receiving care
  • the person you care for isn't your spouse or partner
  • you provide care for someone over the age of 18
  • you provide care for at least 35 hours a week
  • you provide care for an elderly person or a person with a disability in return for payment of up to £44 a week

If you cannot get a reduction as a carer, you may still be able to apply for a different reduction:

Apply for a Council Tax reduction