How to appeal

The statutory grounds for appealing an incorrectly issued Penalty Charge Notice are if:

  • the contravention did not occur
  • the penalty exceeded the correct amount
  • the traffic order was invalid
  • you were not the owner or keeper of the vehicle at the time of the contravention
  • the vehicle had been taken without your consent
  • you are a hire firm and have supplied the name of the person hiring the vehicle
  • there has been a procedural impropriety by the enforcement authority

You can also appeal on other grounds if there are any other compelling reasons.

You should appeal within 28 days, to do so you must either appeal:

  • using our online form
  • in writing as directed on the Penalty Charge Notice

Please note: You cannot make an appeal by phone.

Make a representation

If we reject your representations and you're not satisfied, you may wish to make a formal appeal to an independent parking adjudicator with the Traffic Penalty Tribunal.

The decision reached by the Traffic Penalty Tribunal will be final and costs may be awarded against either party.