Recruitment, training and apprentices
Last updated 11 July 2023
2. Recruitment support for employers
Stockport has a strong, growing economy. We are keen to ensure that as many of our employers and residents as possible are included in this growth.
To help this we have support services available to assist employers to recruit from our local labour market:
Pre-employment training provides a free opportunity for employers. It enables them to find unemployed, suitable candidates for available roles. Pre-employment training is designed by a training provider. Employers must ensure the experience on the course is directly relevant to the roles being recruited to. Some examples of sectors where pre-employment training can be helpful include;
Employment support programmes
The services below support individuals into employment. They also work with employers to target your recruitment needs. It is also to help ensure your workforce reflects the demographic profile of your local customer base. The main support services with active employer engagement include:
Jobcentre Plus is the main Government funded service providing universal services for jobseekers. It also has a range of services which can help you as an employer. Services can include recruitment advice, support with advertising on Universal Jobmatch service and links to Work Clubs. For more information on how Jobcentre Plus could help your business visit GOV.UK.
'Working Well' is a Greater Manchester wide support service which incorporates the Work and Health Programme. It's a scheme set up for a range of out-of-work residents facing barriers to employment. The programme is run by InWork GM, integrating their offer with a range of health, housing and other services. InWork GM have an active Employer Engagement programme. They are keen to talk to you about how you can work together to support your recruitment.
For more information visit InWork GM.
Caring, Working, Living
Caring, Working, Living aims to support people with caring responsibilities who are looking to return to work:
- to increase their confidence and self-esteem in relation to returning to paid employment
- to improve their understanding of the skills that employers are looking for
Support we can offer:
- provide information to 'returners' about agencies in their local area that provide support with job search skills
- provide financial support towards the cost of job searching. For example; the cost of childcare or other care, travel to an employment support activity, interview costs such as travel or clothing
- provide information about employers that are offering workplace visits. For example; work trials, placements, Returnships as part of their recruitment
- provide peer support through our Facebook page
To be eligible for support you must:
- either be a parent or a carer
- have been out of work for at least 12 months due to caring responsibilities
- be looking to return to work
- live in Greater Manchester
For more information visit the Greater Manchester Centre for Voluntary Organisation website. You can also email email@example.com or call 0161 277 1044.
Stockport Jobs Match
Stockport Jobs Match is a dedicated job-board for the Stockport area. Employers can advertise unlimited vacancies free of charge, to promote their job openings to local residents. It allows companies to attract and engage with local talent by advertising:
- work experience opportunities
- volunteering roles
The Stockport Jobs Match team can support employers with their recruitment process and other ways to tap into candidate pools. With help and advice:
- to create job descriptions or advertisements
- on inclusive recruitment strategies
- on setting pay rates and salary benchmarking
- to offer apprenticeships or pre-employment training
- to partner with local colleges or employment support services
- to take part in free job fairs or careers events
Visit the Stockport Jobs Match website to get started. To contact the Jobs Match team:
- email firstname.lastname@example.org
- call 0161 808 0400