Skip to main content

Business rates support

3. Support for pubs

Relief will be available to eligible occupied properties with a rateable value of less than £100,000.

Under the scheme eligible pubs will receive a £1,000 discount on their bill. This relief will have effect in 2017/18.

Pubs eligible for relief should:

  • be open to the general public
  • allow free entry other than when occasional entertainment is provided
  • allow drinking without requiring food to be consumed
  • permit drinks to be purchased at a bar

For these purposes it should exclude:

  • boarding houses
  • cafes
  • casinos
  • cinemas
  • concert halls
  • exhibition halls
  • festival sites
  • guesthouses
  • hotels
  • music venues
  • museums
  • nightclubs
  • restaurants
  • snack bars
  • sporting venues
  • theatres

We are currently writing to ratepayers who may be eligible to receive relief. If you wish to apply then you must complete and return the State Aid declaration otherwise we will not be able to award you relief. Please return the form within 21 days of the date of the letter.

On receipt of your form we will issue you with a revised bill to confirm how much Business Rates you have to pay for 2017/18.

If you would like to apply for relief then you can do so by completing the form below;

State Aid Declaration Pub Relief

PDF, 144 KB

This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology.

You can find out more about information about State Aid on our web pages.

Extension of the Pubs Relief Scheme

In the Autumn Budget 2017 the Chancellor announced that the pubs relief scheme would be extended by a further year. The existing guidance and terms for the current scheme will continue to apply in the same way – eligible pubs with a rateable value of below £100,000 will receive a £1,000 discount on their bill.

The relief will have effect in 2018/19.