Bus lane and bus gate fines

3. How to appeal

The statutory grounds for appealing an incorrectly issued Penalty Charge Notice are if:

  • the contravention did not occur
  • the penalty exceeded the correct amount
  • the traffic order was invalid
  • you were not the owner or keeper of the vehicle at the time of the contravention
  • the vehicle had been taken without your consent
  • you're a hire firm and have supplied the name of the person hiring the vehicle
  • you're vehicle was kept by a motor trader
  • the circumstances leading to the issue of the Penalty Charge Notice are subject to criminal proceedings or a Fixed Penalty Notice has been issued

You should appeal within 28 days, to do so you must either appeal:

  • online using the form below
  • in writing as directed on the back of the Penalty Charge Notice

Please note: You cannot make an appeal by phone.

Make a representation

If we reject your representations and you're not satisfied, you may wish to make a formal appeal to an independent parking adjudicator with the Traffic Penalty Tribunal.

The decision reached by the Traffic Penalty Tribunal will be final and costs may be awarded against either party.