6. Brownfield Land Register
The government requires each local planning authority in England to prepare, maintain and publish a register of previously developed (brownfield) land suitable for housing. They consider that the purpose of the register is to provide up to date and consistent information on sites that local authorities consider appropriate for residential development.
In order for sites to be included in the register, they must meet the following criteria:
- the site must be classified as 'previously developed land', as defined by the glossary to the National Planning Policy Framework (NPPF)
- the site should be at least 0.25 hectares in size or capable of supporting at least 5 dwellings
- the land is suitable for residential development
- the land is available for residential development
- residential development of the land is achievable within 15 years
We have published our brownfield land register and it identifies land with the potential to accommodate net additional dwellings across the borough. The government requires that the register is published as a CSV file. The brownfield land register was last updated on 18 December 2019.
Stockport’s Brownfield Land Register is licensed under the Open Government Licence 3.0.