Last updated 24 November 2021
2. Brownfield Land Register
Our most recent brownfield land register was published in December 2020. To make sure it's consistent across the country and that it's updated annually, it's in a file format required by government (CSV). It can also be viewed as an online map below.
The register identifies 56 brownfield sites in the borough with the potential to accommodate over 3,020 new homes.
Not all brownfield sites in Stockport are included in the register because sites have to meet certain criteria set by government. In order for sites to be included in the register, they must meet the following criteria:
- the site must be classified as 'previously developed land', as defined by the glossary to the National Planning Policy Framework (NPPF)
- the site should be at least 0.25 hectares in size or capable of supporting at least 5 dwellings
- the land is suitable for residential development
- the land is available for residential development
- residential development of the land is achievable within 15 years
Our brownfield land register is available as open data to download.
Find more information on the supply of land in Stockport on our Strategic Housing Land Availability Assessment (SHLAA) page.