Applying for Housing Benefit
1. How to apply
The easiest way to claim Housing Benefit is to use our online application form. Before you start, use the online calculator on BetterOff Stockport to find out how much benefit you may be entitled to..
If you're receiving Universal Credit or are eligible to claim Universal Credit then you need to make a claim for help with your housing costs from the Department for Work and Pensions.
You can still claim Housing Benefit if:
- you have 3 or more dependent children
- you, and your partner if you have one, are pension age
- you live in accommodation where you are provided with support as part of your tenancy
The Housing Benefit claim form gives details of our fast-track service so your claim could be processed within 5 working days.
- the form is secure and all your information can only be accessed using a unique reference number. Please make a note of this number
- it may look long, but the form will help and guide you as you work through it to ensure you only fill in the parts that are relevant to your claim. This makes it much easier to fill in than a paper form
- the form checks for errors and highlights anything you have missed