About the Licensing Act 2003

We are the Licensing Authority for all premises and locations situated within the area of the Metropolitan Borough of Stockport.

We'll deal with applications relating to licensable activities (including Temporary Event Notices) if;

  • the premises' postcode lies within the range SK1 to SK8 and/or
  • you pay your rates to us

Premises Licences, Temporary Event Notices or Club Premises Certificates under the Licensing Act 2003 are needed to cover all licensable activities. If a business sells alcohol under the authority of a Premises Licence then a Personal Licence holder has to be nominated as the Designated Premises Supervisor.

Applications made for Premises Licences or Club Premises Certificates must be advertised at the boundary of the premises and in the local press. They are therefore are open to public scrutiny.

Applicants are reminded that the contents of their application may be challenged by nearby businesses, residents, local councillors and the responsible authorities.

The responsible authorities, local councillors, owners of nearby businesses and residents may challenge any authorisations at any time. This is done by asking the licensing authority to review the premises licence or club premises certificate. This will be based on the problems they are having with those premises in relation to the four licensing objectives.

The Act introduces a new style of licensing regime covering late-night refreshment (cafes, restaurants and takeaways open after 23.00hrs (11pm), regulated entertainment and the supply of alcohol.

This combined licensing regime introduces Premises Licences, Club Premises Certificates and Temporary Event Notices to control premises. It also covers the new Personal Licence for individuals normally resident in Stockport who supervise the retail sale of alcohol.

Statutory Guidance to the Act produced by the Department of Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS), is revised regularly. This is done by the Secretary of State for Licensing Authorities, Magistrates, the Licensed Trade and the Public. It includes guidance to police officers on using expanded closure powers in the Act to deal with disorder or noise nuisance problems on premises.

View the latest version copy of the guidance on the GOV.UK website.

View Stockport's licensing policy 2016 to 2021 (PDF 421Kb).