About the Ethnic Diversity Service
The Ethnic Diversity Service is a specialist service which provides a wide range of support for English as an additional language (EAL) pupils and schools, and promotes equality and diversity. Our team of experienced specialist teachers work in partnership with schools to strengthen EAL provision across a school. We provide strategic advice alongside practical teaching and learning strategies.
In addition to our specialist teachers, we have a large bank of trained bilingual assistants, giving schools access to a multitude of languages. We provide cultural talks, multicultural markets, and a Schools Linking Programme to help schools promote equality and diversity.
We also provide interpreters to facilitate communication with parents, deliver cultural talks and multicultural markets promoting equality, diversity and inclusion and operate a schools linking programme across the Manchester area.
We provide a flexible service, tailored to meet the needs of your school. Schools benefit from our:
- specialist information, advice and guidance regarding learners new to English, advanced bilingual learners, teaching and learning strategies, resources, census guidelines, EAL assessment
- direct support for EAL learners from specialist teachers, bilingual assistants and bilingual learning mentors
- English language assessments and reports
- first language assessments and reports
- professional development sessions for teachers and EAL / Inclusion co-ordinators
- EAL network meetings
- training for school staff
- strategic support including action planning, EAL audit, learning walk, book scrutiny, Ofsted guidance, data analysis