About Staircase House
The house is famous for its rare Jacobean cage-newel staircase. A state-of-the-art audio guide recounts the full history of the house. It's available in English, French, German, Cantonese and Urdu.
Reasons to visit Staircase House:
- delve into the past of Stockport's oldest town house
- discover how our ancestors lived from the 15th to the 20th centuries
- it is home to one of only three surviving Jacobean cage-newel staircases in the country
- learn how the house was brought back to life after a devastating fire
- a barrier free, hands-on historical journey